They can’t all be winners

I hit my first road block. I absolutely abhorred working on this jumpsuit. Maybe it was the fabric or the design but half way through I just couldn’t work on it any longer. So I took nearly a month break from sewing until I could muster up the courage to start working on it again. I used a Linen Look fabric which unraveled like a beast so I thought I would try my hand at seam binding using Snug Hug.

angela-wolf-hug-snug-wawak5

Many sewers on the internet swear by this stuff so I was excited to try a new way of finishing a garment. I ordered a roll off of Amazon in cream, thinking that that was a good neutral color that would work with many future projects.  I spent hours binding the seams in the pants making a project that should have only taken a day drag out to a full month. I have to admit it does make a much cleaner looking crotch seam but I don’t think I could be bothered to do it again.  It’s french seams for me for here on out!   Anyone on the market for a 80 yards of Snug Hug?

DSC_0329

Another tedious bit was after it all you then have to hand sew the collar on.  This took me a Grey’s Anatomy and most of a Nashville but I did it.

DSC_0330

The finished product was not all I had hoped for. Even with doing the muslin I think the bodice is too baggy. It was hard to tell without the zipper how the top was going to fit so this is totally my fault. The bottom portion fits but the extra length I had to add to the rise made the finished garment look out of proportion. I think it would have been better to lengthen the midriff, but that would have messed with the zipper length. Tony said it looks like a clown costume, but he was never really into the whole jumpsuit idea from the get-go.

DSC_0318 DSC_0316

I finished it so now I can in good conscience  move on to something else. Maybe I will use it as a beach coverup but it’s likely to sit in the back of my closet for some time.  It’s almost Halloween so I think the next project on the docket will be a costume.  I also bought some beautiful silk/cotton on a trip to Seattle which wants to be made into a blouse.

Giving Gertie another go

I decided to try the Butterick 6094 Gertie pattern once again only this time doing the straight skirt.

B6094_F_x_new_grande

Unfortunately I had purchased a pattern where 14 was the smallest size, I learned my lesson last time that this was just too big so I took in and inch on both sides  when cutting the material so that I wouldn’t have to re-size it later.

Also learning my lesson I decided that pattern matching on this was just too much trouble so I opted for a solid linen fabric in this luscious deep turquoise color and green to contrast.

tealDSC_0270

I wanted to pull out all the stops when finishing this and I think it turned out really well. I used some lace hem tape for starters in the contrast color. This has to be the best hem I have ever done. I will defiantly be using this stuff in the future.

DSC_0271

The linen had a bad habit of unraveling so I did french seams on the side of the skirt. I couldn’t figure out how to resolve a french seam into a zipper so I bound the back seam as well as the waist seam with bias tape. Finally I hand stitched the bodice lining behind the zipper and into the waist seem so the entire inside is as finished as the outside

DSC_0181 2DSC_0182