Simplicity 2446 Blazer with Contrast

I asked Tony what I should sew next and he picked blazer so that’s what I did! I used the same Simplicity 2446 pattern as I did for my Chocolate Wool Blazer, this time I was inspired by view B and picked up a 1/4 yard of black velvet for the contrast collar and pocket flaps.

2446

I felt like my last blazer was a bit too long waisted ( I did add 1.5″ to just as standard practice) so this time around I removed the extensions and went back to the original pattern length. I did however keep the arm length adjustment from before. Unfortunately this blazer was not as enjoyable to sew, both the plaid and velvet were a fraying nightmare. Mostly I just wanted to be done with it….now that it is done I love it!

dsc_0246-1

I remembered to snap a picture of the insides this time before I turned it right side out. In an effort to not make another trip to Joann’s I made my own shoulder-pads this time out of batting and some remnant material. Also in the shot is the fleece that is used as the sleeve heading which gives the shoulder a nice roll.

dsc_0188-2

Even though the velvet in the collar is interface bottom and top it not as crips as I would like. I did a line of invisible hand stitching in the seams where the collar attaches to the blazer to keep it from looking baggy.

dsc_0221-1

For the front I sewed button holes in but I don’t think I will be buttoning this so I didn’t cut them open. For the front leather buttons I used small black buttons to secure them on the back side to make it look clean and professional.

 

For as much of a struggle as this was to make i’m still pretty pleased with the results…but I have decided to put off any more jacket/coat sewing for awhile. I just want to make a satisfying girly dress next.

dsc_0282

Another Simplicity 1544 for Tony

I thought I  would start out the new year with an unselfish sew. Actually I felt a bit guilty, this was part of my x-mas presents to Tony and I wasn’t able to get around to sewing before the holidays. I figured I needed to make it before I did any more dresses for myself.

I picked up this light weight flannel in a blue and grey buffalo check during a jo-ann 50% off plaid sale. The fabric looked like something he would like so I picked it up. I think he’s pleased with the shirt. It fulfills his suburban lumberjack aesthetic that he strives for.

dsc_0182

I used the perlized snaps per his request and they look a lot better then I thought it would.  It took me some time futzing around in his toolbox trying to figure out how to attach them, I ended up using some crimping pliars. He loves snaps so I may breakdown and get the actual tool for snaps…we will see.

dsc_0183

This is the first non-solid colored shirt that I have made Tony so I cut the button plackets, Cuffs, and Yolk on the bias to give it some visual interest.

dsc_0184

I’m still having issues figuring out those darn chimney plackets. I need to just sit down one day and practice doing them on some scrap material.

dsc_0185

But Tony is happy so that is all that matters! ( You can’t tell but I think that’s a smile under all the beard)

dsc_0180