I have always been slightly envious of my dad’s array of hand made batik shirts. So I finally took the plunge (against the better judgment of the Jo-Ann’s associate) and decided to do a dress in batik fabric.I selected  McCalls 7086 from there archive collection.


Based on the results from that past dresses. I cut a straight size 12 even though  the envelop said I should have been a 14.  The fit was much better through the waist, though I may need to add a waist stay just to relive some of the tension on the zipper. But the shoulders are just a hair too big still.

It has an interesting gathered bow in the front which didn’t seem to show up in this photo but its super visible in person


The pattern calls for 5 5/8 yards of fabric. I bought 6  just to be safe but I had almost a yard and a half left over which sort of miffed me since it was so expensive. The pattern has a fully lined skirt but leaves the bodice un-lined. I though that was a mistake since the bodice is what rubs against your skin the most AND has the most seams. So I did a lining in the bodice (all by my self). I used the technique from the Gertie pattern with a facing attached to the lining. This is my first time adding something to a pattern without any instructions and I think it turned out really well.

DSC_0209 (1)

For the skirt I left the lining out and just did french seams and did the hem with my new favorite lace.


For the arms I read a post on Lilacs & Lace that suggested re-enforcing the arm pit  with top stiching on both sides of the seam when doing these types of sleeves. So I did and it also helped to make the curve a lot smother.


And lastly I finished the sleeves just like the hem with lace. I will have to find out if its too itchy for this kind of application.


Forgive the closed eyes…its hard taking photos of yourself!