Sewing room updates

I finally bit the bullet and invested in some storage for my sewing room (all be it Ikea so it could have been a lot worse). Tony valiantly helped me assemble it and we were nursing sore hands for the rest of the day. I am very happy with how it turned out and now I can see all my pretty fabric so no more forgetting what I have. I got the high gloss in a muted grey turquoise color. I think it will look good in the room when I finally get around to painting it.

DSC_0931

I organized it by fabric type. From the top left: Denim, Patterns, Patterns, Summery Cottons, Interfacing (bin), Serger Thread and Embroidery Thread (drawers), Scissors/Rotary Cutters and Miscellaneous Notions (drawers), Bra Supplies (bin), Wools, Practice Fabrics, Silky Fabrics, Darker Cottons, Knits, 2 empties for uzzi to sleep in, and finally flannel cotton.  Seeing it all out like this my stash isn’t nearly as big as I thought it was so I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad that the Ikea trip also resulted in 2 more fabric purchases.

The first I am absolutely in love with.  It’s like this watercolor rorschach with some beautiful inky blues, greys and deep green hues. The camera does not do it justice.  The cotton is 60″ wide so the design is quite largeDSC_0944

 

Tony picked out this black and white graphic print. I’m not head over heals for it but it is so rare that he has an opinion on fabric that I thought I should at least appease him.

DSC_0945DSC_0946

He has already picked out the pattern for this fabric.

v1353_a

 

The last new fabric addition came from ebay not Ikea but I thought I would show you anyway. It’s Irish Linen in a natural oatmeal color with some gridded see through bits. I read that repeated washings will soften it and relax some of the wrinkling linen is notorious for. This is after 2 washes. I might give it another 1 or 2 before I cut into it.

DSC_0950

My plans for this are a midi  sleeveless shirtwaist dress a la Vogue 8577 view B. I’m thinking it will be a comfortable dress for outdoor parties…like a BBQ 🙂

v8577

Madlynne by Simplicity 8229

After all my successful Harriet bras I was ready to tackle some other underwire patterns. First I printed out the free Maya pattern by AFI Atelier but I got as far as sewing the cups together before I realized that they were about 2″ too big to fit in the cradle. I’m not sure what I did wrong but I binned it and moved on. Next up I chose another madlynne pattern. I read that a vertical seam cup is good for someone with my shape.

DSC_0930

Unlike the harriet bra this pattern calls for stretch lace and stretch lining.  Which makes it really comfortable but a little less supportive. Not that I need a lot of support.

DSC_0940

I love the shape these give me. If you asked me 2 years ago I never thought I would be confidant in a bra without pushup foam. Turns out all you need is a custom made bra to give you the look you want.

DSC_0941

I made an oops and didn’t cut down the bands to fit into my hook and eye so instead I scooped out the back and attached the straps in a U shape and put the adjusters on the front.

DSC_0943DSC_0942

McCall’s 6954 Reimagined as a shirt

I don’t know why but I have been on a floral kick lately.  Normally pink isn’t my color but my mom pointed out that this looks quite good with my skin tone so I guess it just has to be the “right” pink.  Having a bit of a tan doesn’t hurt either.   When I saw this lightweight floaty polyester floral at Joann’s I thought it was just screaming to be a tank top. I had previously deemed McCall’s 6954 to the don’t make again pile but I pulled it back out for this project because it had the racerback and floaty fit I was looking for.

s-l300

I cut off the pattern at 17″ below the neckline to turn it into a top. I cut the front and back on the fold and narrowed in just a tad on the side seams to allow me to get the shirt out of a single yard of fabric.

DSC_0906

The neck and armholes are finished with self bias binding folded to the inside and sewed down. Just like the last time I made this pattern I had a heck of a time getting it to lay flat along the curves. Even with extensive stay stitching and stabilizing tape I must have still warped it.  Despite that this was exactly what I wanted and was very comfortable on a recent business trip to San Francisco.

DSC_0901

This was a fast project and I can certainly see more of these floaty woven tops in my future.