Mandy & Ginger

One of my goals for 2017 was to make Jeans and I am happy to say that I have succeeded!  So far I have made 3 pairs: 1 failure and 2 wearable. I have some really nice Cone Mill Denim but I want to really refine the fit before I cut into that fabric. That’s the problem with buying nice fabric, i’m too scared to cut into it. I also picked up some stretch denims from Colorado Fabrics. They were pre-cut lengths and I didn’t realize until after I pre-washed them that one of them is 45″ wide.  Mom suggested I make pedal pushers with it but Im not sure I can even make that work. Shorts maybe?

One of the things I purchased with my winnings from the Pattern review contest was the Ginger Jeans pattern. I have seen some excellent jeans come from this pattern so I know eventual I will get there.

ginger_jeans_envelope_proof-02_large

The first pair I made was using the skinny leg- high waisted view ( on the left). I used a very dark wash denim and some grey floral quilting cotton for the pockets and teal serger thread on the insides.

 

I used the pattern as drafted except I added 4″ to the bottom of the leg so that I could have a really wide cuff. I’m lucky if I can get RTW jeans long enough for me so having such a deep cuff feels very special.

DSC_0827

I really goofed the back pocket placement on these. The pockets were just so big and my back is soo small. I put them too close together because otherwise the would have been around the sides. I’m OK with is since I tend to wear skinny jeans with big billowy tops that cover my bum anyways. For the subsequent pairs I used the smaller pocket pattern piece from the low rise view.

DSC_0828

I learned some things from this first pair….firstly the importance of pocket placement. Also I found the rise a bit too high on me. The button in the front tends to rub against my belly button when I sit down which irritates the skin. Also these were a bit big, I accidently cut a hole in the side with my serger so I took in both sides by 1/4″ to fix it and the jeans are still seem more than generous.

For the next pair I used a stretch twill in olive. Based on the last ones I went down a size and just the low rise version. It was only supposed to be 3″ different. Well these were so bad they have been trashed before even getting a picture. The twill had considerable less stretch than the denim so going down a size made me feel like a stuffed sausage. Also the low rise was NSFW… unless you’re a plumber.

I went back to the high waisted version and just redrafted the front to be 1 1/2″ lower at the zipper. For this I used a light grey flannel backed denim. It’s super soft and very warm!

These jeans are almost perfect. I think I need to take out 1/2″ more from the front to be comfortable. Also I did a much better job with the pocket placement. I put fusible interfacing on the pockets before top stitching them but the one on the right had broken threads after just one wearing.

DSC_0831

This denim doesn’t have the best recovery so it gets a little baggy in the knees after a few wearings. The Cone Mill denim is supposed to be very good for that sort of thing so it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.

 

Along with my skinny jeans I have been sort of obsessed with a free pattern I found online called the Mandy Boat Neck Tee. Its one size fits all and sews up in about 30 mins. For my first version I used a teal terry fabric that I got at Colorado Fabrics. I made it wrong side out because I liked the textured look of the terry.

DSC_0820

I love the boat neckline and the dropped shoulder. I did find the back a little tent like but that hasn’t stopped me from wearing it a ton before the weather started warming up.

dsc_0821-e1497654630345

It wasn’t long before I had to make it again. For my second time around I took a triangle wedge out of the back to help it hang better. I also added a split hem that is longer in the back.

dsc_0819

The stripes help accentuate the dropped shoulder and this aqua teal is a personal favorite of mine. This is a ponte and has a little more stretch in the sleeves then the terry so it’s even more comfortable so thats a win in my book.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Mandy & Ginger

  1. I stabilized the pocket to prevent stretching but it didn’t help. The diagonal decorative topstitching design on the pocket broke along all 4 lines. I’ll just leave it out on future pairs.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s