Simplicity 1873: #EasterSpringDress2017

I thought I would take a break from my winter coat and join in on the spring dress sewalong. When I picked up this fabric I was thinking a mod 60s style shift dress but then quickly retreated back to my fit-n-flare comfort zone and used Simplicity 1873 instead.

1873

I sewed the View C bodice with the longer skirt of view A. Boy I am glad I did because this is just on the cusp of being shorter than I like.

DSC_0680

 

The fit isn’t the best. I must admit I heard about this sew along a while ago when Akram first posted it on We Sew Retro but I didn’t know I was going to participate until last week so I didn’t have time to muslin. In retrospect I probably did but this is the excuse that I am telling myself.

I cut a 14, some reviewers said that the waist was too small and since the pattern didn’t have any finished waist measurements I walked the pattern and it did seem awfully small so I graded it out to a 16 at the waist. Mistake. I should have just done what I always do and cut a straight size. At least now I know for next time! It’s OK now I have extra room in the dress if I need to eat a whole ham or something.

DSC_0660

By design the bodice ends just above the natural waist but I would prefer it to be dropped another inch. Also The back is quite high and I didn’t have any zippers that long so I scooped out the back which I think looks more flattering anyway.

DSC_0703
I would have taken more outdoor photos but my remote ran out of battery 

I love the pleat design in this pattern, I will definitely use it again when I have directional prints. This dress only used 3.36 yards ( I had asked for 3.5 yds but this was all that was left on the bolt). In any case I feel like that’s pretty economical considering the bodice is self-lined and the skirt looks twirly.

DSC_0714
Obligatory guts shot!

For the buttons I hemmed and hawed over what to use. I did not want to go out and buy more since my button stash is sort of out of control. I had robins egg blue buttons that I liked witht the fabric but they weren’t big enough. I ended up using these which are vintage self covered button blanks. I was going to cover them but then I  sort of liked the way the brushed metal looked with the fabric and Tony agreed and so it was.

DSC_0710

This dress was a good break from all the hand sewing on my coat and I managed to knock it out in a day and a half. More importantly the weather is actually starting to turn around here so I even got to wear it already!!!! The bodice needs some adjusting but I think this is a good basic dress pattern and I won’t be surprised it I sew it up a few more times.

Advertisements

One thought on “Simplicity 1873: #EasterSpringDress2017

  1. Hi! Loving this Easter Spring dress.
    I really like the little bird fabric that you chose. This dress pattern is very flattering and the buttons are perfect.
    I also think it was an ingenious idea to scoop the back so your zipper would work. I think it looks good like that too.
    Oh, yeah, nice copper Troll bead bracelet! Perfect 😉 Happy Easter!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s