I am happy to be able to share my finished Wool Blazer/ English hunting coat.
Tony has already declared this the best thing I have ever made. Despite the long and tedious preparation process, sewing this was a breeze. Things like the collar and sleeves which I expected to be troublesome came together with no issues. I thoroughly enjoyed making this coat as it managed to challenge me and boost my sewing confidence in one fell swoop. I wish I had gotten some pictures of the guts before attaching the lining but I was just too eager to get it finished.
These are two part sleeves with sort of a faux vent. They have a 1/4″ shoulder pad sewn into the lining and some fleece as a sleeve heading to help fill out the shape of the sleeve cap. That’s a lot going on under the hood!
We have a notched collar that lays very well if I do say so myself.
The pocket flaps are non-functional but there is a pocket in the princess seams below the flap. I found some plastic buttons that do a brilliant job of looking wooden and really tie together the English feel for me.
The back has some gentle princess seams for a slight bit of shaping. I wish I had done a sway back adjustment but its not too obvious.
My favorite part is the silky rich red lining. It really makes this coat feel like a luxury.
Needless to say, I am pretty satisfied, though I don’t think I will be making another anytime soon. I learned a lot of tailoring while making this and I feel like I can bump my skill level up a notch.