I was desperate for more fabric and with a new job starting soon I thought I could splurge on a bit of a haul from Fabric.com . Well the new job isn’t all I thought it would be and I’m back on the job hunt. I had a few promising phone interviews yesterday so I’m trying keep positive. I regret ordering the fabric now and wish I had saved the money but the it is already bought so I might as well use it.
First up is 3 yards of a medium weight (9.5oz) dark denim.
I am planning to do the top drawing on this pattern with the 3/4 rolled sleeves and A-line skirt with curved hem. I started on the bodice yesterday but I’m not loving the look of the classic gold thread topstitching so I may un-pick it and go for copper or black thread instead. I have used this pattern once already to do the circle skirt version but haven’t had the chance to take pictures of the finished dress yet.
After the sucess of my grape colored knit dress I and eager to do another. I bought 3 yards of this rose quartz rayon jersey.
Right now I am not to sure if I want to use the same pattern but do long sleeves or opt for something else. I wasn’t in love with how the waist was addressed on the McCalls pattern as the finished dress needs to be worn with a belt and not sufficient as is. I leaning towards a fit and flare wrap dress style, I just need to find the right pattern.
Next I fell in love with this crepe de chine with purple birds on a brown background. I bought 4 yards for a steal.
The fabric is very lightweight and soft. Originally I was thinking of this Butterick wiggle dress with side swag. After seeing the fabric in person I don’t know if the fabric has enough structure for this dress and may later decide on something more flowy…or maybe a pussy bow blouse. The dress pattern does recommend a crepe de chine so it may be alright. I will have to think about it for a bit.
I already knew I wanted to do a more cold weather version of this dress so I bought 5 yards of this evergreen cotton.
This time around with will do the sleeves that the pattern came with. I have heard of some issues with arm mobility with this pattern so I may need to make some adjustments in the shoulders to account. Only problem is this dress will need a darker petticoat since I think my ivory one would clash. I can cross that river when it comes. Fingers crossed I will have a steady income by then.
Last but not least I bought 6 yards of this navy Taffeta.
I am auditioning the idea of making something to wear to a wedding next September (’17), obviously I have some time to figure it out. So far I have 2 ideas either a full skirt worn with a store bought top or a dress with boat neck front and deep V-back with a box pleated skirt. Below are the inspiration pictures. Coming off my self drafting success I feel confidant that I could suss out these designs with some trial and error.