I fell down the youTube rabbit hole a few weeks back and somehow ended up at a video by Angela Clayton on making a dress out of ikea curtains. I absolutely loved the dress and it seemed easy enough for a draping beginner like myself. First things first, I checked and ikea no longer makes those curtains *sad face*. I decided to use some of the 8 yards of aqua linen I had in my stash from my dutch wax purchase.
I used some fabric scraps on my dress form and cut and tucked and shaped until I got a bodice I was happy with. I only draped half of the bodice planing to cut on the fold. Having the dress form made it super easy because it has the center lines and stuff already on it. Then I just took that fabric and transferred it onto Swedish tracing paper and added my seam allowance.
I cut out one from the linen and one from a cotton batiste for lining. Sewed the darts and put right sides together and sewed along the neck and back. I also did a line of understitching to help keep the lining from rolling to the outside.
Next I made some bias tape out of the linen to go around the arm holes and tie at the top to form the straps
You can see in this picture how I placed the darts coming towards the center. This was my own artistic addition. It reminds me of the 17th century style lines with bodies that would come to sharp points
For the skirt I just did 3 rectangles the full width of the fabric and gathered them. In retrospect I wish I had just done a circle skirt because:
- The gathering took forever and my thread kept breaking
- It made the zipper super hard to put in
- I don’t much care for the added fullness the gathering gives at the waist.
After I took this picture I ironed them down to try and subdue it and that helped a little but it still has a bit of a tummy pooch effect.
All in all I think its not a bad result for my first attempt at making something without a pattern. I certainly would try it again. I like the relaxed look of it, seems perfect for a picnic in the park.