I felt like showing this even though its not a sewing project but it is still homemade. Uzzi has destroyed his scratching post (it put up a good fight, it lasted 7 years) so we decided to make another one for him. First some 1X6 lumber suitable for kitten surfing.
After some quick math based on how much sisal I had I told tony to cut me an 18″ slab.
Then it was just a matter of wrapping and glueing.
Tony gave me Gertie’s Ultimate Dress Book for my Birthday a few months ago.
The concept of the book is that it has several different skirt, bodice, sleeve, and collar patterns that can be used interchangeable to make a slew of different dresses. I read the book cover to cover and decided to make a dress based on one of the drawings. An A-Line skirt with a basic bodice, cap sleeves, and a peter pan collar.
When I started construction it was just a mess. Clearly these patterns are not drafted to the same shape as mainstream pattern. I found the bust was 4 inches too low and extremely large. The darts size and placement was just all wrong. So I tried to find a pattern that I had used before to get an idea of how the darts should be placed. I unpicked the whole thing and trimmed the pieces to try and achieve the new shape. I was really irked. I know that most people have to do these types of alterations all the time but it made me really mad that someone would just totally disregard the standard body shape of a dress form and go rogue. I never never never have to make these sort of adjustments with standard patterns. Once that was all sorted out I moved on to the sleeves. Which once attached were a wee bit small and pulled the fabric in bizarre ways. I just gave up. This dress wasn’t to be. I decided to scrap the top and start over with something else and still use the A-line skirt. I think I like the result even better then the first dress so I cant be too upset.
I used the bodice from my trusty Butterick 6094 (Coincidentally also a Gertie pattern). I thought the little flap detail in the back reminded me of a sailors uniform which worked well with the nautical theme fabric. Instead of using a contrasting fabric for the flap I added some satin ribbon trim. I am so pleased with the result.
I used a zipper from Kitty’s stash. I haven’t seen a metal invisible zip at the store. Unfortunately the metal teeth didn’t fit into my invisible zipper foot so I had to insert it using a regular zipper foot so its not quite as “invisible” as it should be.
I lined the bodice and use the fashion fabric for facings.
I was short on fabric so I had to put a seam in the bodice midriff and I certainly didn’t have enough fabric left over to pattern match. I added some piping so the lack of pattern matching wouldn’t matter as much.
I did a blind hem but when I put the dress on I felt it could use something more so I repeated the ribbon detail on the hem as well.
I like the A-line skirt. I think with so many costumy details on this dress having not such a full skirt makes it a little more wearable.
Ugg. I need to start getting back into the habit of buying fabric with a pattern in mind. I keep running into the issue of having way too much fabric left over OR not enough to do the dress that I want. Case in point Simplicity 8085
I wanted to do the long version but since I tend to buy fabric in 4 yard lengths I didn’t have enough. I settled for the short skirt with some of the dress details. Jury is still out on this one.
This cotton was surprisingly stiff even after several washes so I was figuring it would work well with this style skirt since it has some built in structure. I do like how the back bodice looks but Im not sure i’m sold on the proportions.
One of the biggest complaints of this pattern is how impractical it is to put the finished garment on. It just have some tiny little snaps on the back waist and down the skirt. They are almost impossible to snap by your self and they are not very stable so really the belt does all the work. I may take this apart and go for the tie waist instead.
I did some cheats. When I got to the end of the first pack of bias tape i just stopped since it ended right at the waist and no one would see the under skirt anyway.
In a few days I’ll be starting my new job working from home. I decided I needed some grownup Pajamas. I used Butterick 6296.
I bought a 10 yard bolt of teal broad cloth for this. I started with the shorts because I wanted to check the fit of them before cutting out the pants which would take much more fabric. I ended up liking the shorts so Im not sure I will ever get around to the pants.
They have an elasticized waist band, pockets and a yoke construction in the back.
The insides are unlined so I serged all the seams.
This is the first time I have used piping. I chose a lime green to contrast the teal. I love this color combo but I’m not sure if others people like it. You can see it better on the top.
For the top I used the long sleeve version. The only alteration I made was lengthening the arms by 2″.
Still trying to use up my stash I had the idea to make a tropical feeling 50s play suit. I selected Simplicity 1426 to use with my Lime/Blue wax print.
I am not very confidant in my mid section so I drafted a longer midriff and back to make it more of a long line look.
Unfortunately I just am not endowed enough to wear this style. This pattern seems to be drafted for someone with a C or D cup so if you normally do a FBA you might not have to with this one. I did a criss cross back and buttons.
The straps attach to the front with a button hidden under the bust flaps.
The idea was to pair it with a high waisted skirt or shorts. I don’t think I will ever get around to it since I don’t like the top enough to try and fix it. Meh.