Make it work.

I had selected this fabric to use with a discontinued Vogue pattern from my mothers stash.  I cut out all the pattern pieces before realizing that I was missing the instructions. I debated if I should try to wing it but I ultimately erred on the side of caution. I decided to use Butterick 5748.

images

I could still use the circle skirt I had already cut out and I had just enough fabric left to cut out the different bodice. After studying the finished garment measurements I decided to cut a 16….This is the first time I have ever cut the size that correspond to my body measurements but from the looks of the finished garment numbers there wasn’t much ease. Boy was that a mistake.

 

After sewing the bodice part way I tried it on, it seemed to big so I decided to do a 1″ seam on the sides to nip it it a little.  Once I had the dress sewn up (before I hemed it but after I hand put in the zipper sewed the lining in) I tried it on again. Still to big. So I tore apart the dress and made the darts bigger and added darts to the skirt  so that they would line up. The fit is not the best. Also I think this dress would benefit from some lengthening in the torso.

DSC_0054

Some people have said that the notches are a little flimsy so I added some fusible interfacing to both the front and back to try and give them a little more structure.

Another selling point was that this dress was fully lined so no seam binding required. While making it I discovered that even though the skirt was fully lined it wasn’t attached at the bottom so I did a turn and stitch on the skirt seams which looks really good.

DSC_0051

 

I did a self lining on the bodice and used broadcloth for the skirt. I like the look of the lining and it gives the skirt a little extra umph without having to wear a petticoat. But ultimately I think its a little heavy for summer. Maybe it would work with a cropped cardigan in the fall?

 

 

Update: The fit of this dress was really bothering me so I ended up ripping the whole thing apart.  I didn’t have enough fabric to cut the bodice again so I had to make due. I came up with the idea of doing a waist band to give me the extra length I needed. I also took in the sides, Moved the zipper, Re-did the hem, and removed the skirt lining.

Advertisements

One thought on “Make it work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s