I won’t go into any construction detail, quite frankly the construction is atrocious. This was actually the first thing I sewed when I got back into sewing earlier this year. I had bought broadcloth on sale for $0.50/yd and had gotten almost all the way through when I realized that I could have prevented the puckering by changing the tension on the thread. I had thought it was just doing that because the fabric was cheap. So I never finished the dress and stashed it away. When it came time to brainstorm costumes I really liked the idea of the Morton Salt Girl ( you know, food scientist and all). I decided to just use this dress because who cares if a costume puckers? So I dug it out, added the zipper, and finished the hem. easy peasy.
I had the most fun making the salt canister. I figured that since the girl was little the salt canister was much bigger in proportion to her body. So I made mine out of a can of oats. I printed out the image and taped it to the can. I cut two slits in the lid and fashioned a pour spout out of tinfoil. I added a strap out of fishing line so that I could wear it like a purse and free up my hands if I had to. Finally I strung some irregular glass beads on fishing line to act as the salt pouring out.
I hemmed and hawed over whether or not to get a wig. I eventually decided against it because I had only spent $8 on the costume to add a $20 wig seemed stupid. Also the dress isn’t an exact replica so the hair didn’t have to be either. I did however do a faux bob. It freaked a lot of people out who thought I had really committed to the character and cut my hair.
All said and done it was a lot of fun. Every year at work more and more people are starting to wear costumes. Im glad the tradition is catching on because otherwise no one would ever get to see my effort.