I don’t know when i’m going to learn to pay attention to the fibric suggestions on the envelop. This time I tried a Butterick 6094 which is part of there “patterns by Gertie” collection.
I loved the back of this dress (Of corse I want to do the full skirt) And I found this grey fabric with sparrows that I just had to use. Only problem is that when it came time to cut the fabric I realized that the birds where going to all be sideways on the front and back centers of the skirt. So instead of cutting the front half circle as a single piece I added a seam down the center so the birds would be upright. I could not find an actual repeat in the fabric but I settled for matching up the birds through the seam even if the branches don’t line up.
Again I didn’t bother with the petticoat that was supposed to be attached since I already have one. So I finished all the seams in the skirt with the bias tape and top stitching on either side of the seam.
The bodice has both a facing in the contrast fabric as well as a lining. The directions where a little confusing but I managed to figure them out after reading them 5 times! I also had to think long and hard to get the points on the back collar to end at the center of a medallion and for the two collar pieces to be mirror images of themselves.
I cut a straight size 14. Once I completed the dress I decided that it was too big in the waist. I un-picked it and took in the midriff seams but since the skirt seams where covered and top stitched I opted to add some extra darts to the skirt instead. I will have to add a finished picture later since the only one I have was taken before the re-sizing.